Tuesday, October 20, 2009

For Reals

I want to write something that pretty much everyone can understand. But what I want to write about might be too boring for people to read or even listen to. Maybe I have to do a video version to make sure everyone pays attention? Even writing like I’m writing here is a bit of a problem because I’m not making a strong point. So this post probably doesn’t qualify for the kind of thing I really want to write. This is more like preparation. I’m writing about writing here, and that is boring and “not to the point”. So I guess I can use this post to write examples of what I might want to write.

What I was really thinking about when I decided to write this post was... I forget. But I think it had to do with belief and believing. What is my real attitude about belief? Is it worthwhile for me to tell people that if they believe something, they are just fooling themselves? Does that get too close to being ridiculous?

I think what I end up writing has to grab everyone’s attention. But it also needs to be pretty plain and not open to too much interpretation. I normally don’t want to grab people’s attention, so in a way, if I end up grabbing people’s attention, I will be doing something I’m not inclined to do in the first place. It will be like I understand what I want to say, but then I have to say it in a way I would not normally say it. I have to be provocative.

What if someone doesn’t understand what the word provocative means? What if someone can’t even read that word?

Maybe part of what I write has to deal with this issue of those who can’t read. Would I have to challenge the readers to read out loud to those they know can’t read? Or to be realistic should I take action myself and read or better yet simply speak to live audiences?

What comes first? Public speaking, or understanding what you want to say?

Why do you believe anything at all? Do you feel afraid that if you don’t believe something, you are doing something wrong, or that you will be punished by God or something? Just think if there is any good reason for you to believe anything. I can’t think of any really good reasons. I keep reaching the same conclusion, which is that if I were to state what I believe, I am sure I would feel uncomfortable with that statement. But If I were to state that I believe someone when they are speaking to me, I am pretty sure I would feel very confident that I were telling the truth. What it boils down to is that I am not sure that it is true that I believe anything, but that it is definitely true that I can believe someone.

I neither believe nor disbelieve things, but I either believe or disbelieve people. I have to admit the word disbelieve is not a very common word, and that using the word doubt seems to result in a more normal sounding statement. But it’s not the meaning I’m looking for. I guess I still have to work on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment